Get the Bio on Dr. Martin Kelly

Dr. Kelly is part of the Math and Natural Sciences Department and can often be found in his office in Joan of Arc Hall.  He always makes himself available to students seeking his help.  I have Dr. Kelly for Bio 102 Lab and decided it would be interesting to take a peek at his life outside of the classroom.

professor teaching studentsQ: What’s your favorite course to teach?

A: I like all the courses I teach.  I teach all the introductory biology labs and an evolution class.  I enjoy teaching the introductory biology lab because I really like interacting with the students in lab and I like the fact that it’s at an introductory level.  I also really like the evolution class I teach because it’s such an important subject to me and it allows me to teach students in a different way than I do in lab.Q: What’s your favorite color?

A: I don’t have a favorite color depends on when people ask me and my mood.

Anchovy Pizza

Anchovy Pizza

Q: What’s your favorite food?

A: Just off the top of my head pizza. I really like pizza.

Q: What kind of pizza toppings do you like?

A: I especially like a pizza type that I don’t get to eat, anchovy pizza.  Nobody in my family likes to eat anchovies so I never get to eat anchovy pizza. I like white pizza a lot, spinach-topped pizzas; I like lots of different pizzas.

Q: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

A: I really thought that for myself that I could do more professionally teaching than I could do through my research. It’s really hard to have a professional impact through your research. You have to be exceptionally good.  In teaching you have the opportunity to help the student understand something or learn something that they wouldn’t have had the chance to learn before.  I teach hundreds of students a year. With a career of teaching I have more opportunity to impact more people.

Q: How did you end up at D’Youville?

A: I came here like most people just sort of by accident. I saw an advertisement at a time that I was looking to change positions and it was a position I was very well qualified for in terms of my background and my experience. It was the type of institution I wanted to work at. It was never an ultimate plan but I’m very happy here and I’m very happy to be at D’Youville.

Q: What do you like most about D’Youville?D'Youville College Logo

A: I like that the college really does try to fulfill its mission. I’ve been to other colleges and all colleges have mission statements but I never had the feeling that their mission really mattered except for having something to put on their web page.  Here the mission matters. It matters to different people in different ways but it’s not something that is just on our webpage.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I go to the gym. I work out pretty regularly. That’s as close as it gets to a hobby. I still read, surf the internet, watch TV, and occasionally go to movies.

book coverQ: What’s your favorite book?

A: I always enjoy the book that I’m currently reading in terms of favorite. The current book that I’m reading is called is called A Drop of the Hard Stuff by Lawrence Block. It’s a mystery. Lawrence Block is originally from Buffalo.

Q: What is your favorite movie/movie genre?

A: I like all types of different movies. I’m a movie buff. The last movie I saw that I really enjoyed a lot was Inception.  During the Christmas break I got to see Memento and the Prestige.  I really liked all three of those movies.

Q: What is something that most students don’t know about you?Argentina flag

A: I think most students don’t know that I’m originally from Argentina. I’m a naturalized citizen of the United States. I came to the United States when I was four years old and most of my relatives are still back in Argentina. I also speak Spanish.

Q: Can you tell me a little bit about your family?

A: I’m married. My wife Karen also has a PhD and teaches biology.  We met when I was in graduate school; I was a graduate and she was an undergraduate at Indiana University.  We met because we both lived in a dorm for graduate students or older students.  We went to graduate school together at the University of Texas in Austin and got our PhD’s there.  We have two children.  My daughter Sylvia is 20 and she is a biology major.  Biology runs in the family. You know that’s the curse of being a biologist. My son is 17 and is graduating from high school and he actually wants to go into writing.  That’s a twist.  He could be very good in science and good in math but he doesn’t want to he wants to write.

Q: Do you have any pets?

A: We have three cats and two dogs. I prefer cats over dogs because they are much easier to take care of and get along with. I like my cats.

superman logoQ: If you could have any super power what would it be and why?

A: Growing up I was a huge fan of both Superman and Hercules. I’ve always enjoyed super strength and if it weren’t for that it would be superman’s ability to fly. That would be awesome.

Q: Do you follow any sports teams? Which ones?

A: I don’t follow any teams. I watch the bills on Sunday and I enjoy watching the NCAA basketball tournament.  I did pretty well with my bracket last year until the round of sixteen.

Q: If you could rule the world for one day what would you do and why?

A: If I could rule the world for one day I think it would be terrific to make sure that everyone had a clean safe supply of food and water.

Q: As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A: I wanted to be Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt. I wanted to be a scuba diver at four-years old.

scuba diver

Q: What is your #1 bucket list item?

A: I don’t have a bucket list.

Q: Could you tell me about an embarrassing moment?

A: (Dr. Kelly laughed very hard and preferred not to answer.)

Q: Do you have any pet peeves?cars parked improperly

A: Oh sure like everybody I’ve got pet peeves. It’s the same things that bother everybody.  People that don’t park their cars properly, people that don’t return the grocery cart to the corral, and people that are rude in traffic; their thoughtless with other drivers.  All sorts of little things. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Q: What’s your favorite music genre/artiste/band?

A: I don’t have any favorites there either. I like music I have lots of different kinds of music I’ve listened to.  Right now when you first asked the question the first thing that came to mind was Samba and Bossa Nova but that’s just this moment and that’s just the answer that came to my mind.

Q: What is the most ridiculous thing you have ever seen a student do in class?

A: The most ridiculous thing I have ever seen a student do is actually walk in on the day of a test and not know that a test was scheduled.

Q: If you could take a vacation to anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

A: I’ve always wanted to go to Australia and I’ve always wanted to see the great barrier reef in addition to Australia, so I would go there first.

tropical fish

Q: Do you have any advice for students that you would like to share?

A: Pay attention to the advice that people are trying to give you; they really mean it based on their experience. Having said that I know I ignored all that advice too.  I really did.  You’re going to make your own mistakes and you’re going to make the same mistakes that we did. Just remember that impart we’re here to help you.