Wellness at D’Youville: Mind, Body, and Spirit

As I mentioned previously, I am now in my fourth year of college, which means my life is busier than ever! With all of the classes to attend, papers to write, and clinicals to go to (along with commitments outside of school), I find it too easy to get overwhelmed with my ever-growing to-do list. I am constantly writing and rewriting my lists to try to keep my life  organized – except I frequently fail to add one thing to my list: relax.

students at yoga program

Free fitness programs, like yoga, are offered Mondays through Thursdays at D’Youville.

I find that we as a culture are so caught up in all of our responsibilities that we forget to take an hour or two out of the day for mental and physical wellness as I am sure many of you can relate.  It is even more important now as students to take the time for relaxation as our minds are being constantly engaged.

Exercise = Relaxation

One of the best ways to relax and rejuvenate the mind and body is exercising! I know what some of you may be thinking – how is exercise relaxing? Without getting too “scientific-y,” exercise reduces stress hormones and releases endorphins which can put you in a better mood! It also provides a great way to clear the mind of thoughts and worries temporarily. Not only does it clear minds and lift moods, exercise can release built up tension and can leave you sleeping better at nights.

students and faculty at yoga programWellness Programs at D’Youville

Whenever I am in need of a complete mood overhaul, one of the best things to do is yoga! The stretching combined with the deep breathing is the perfect way to wind down after a day hunching over books, and it’s a pretty good workout too! Luckily, here at D’Youville there is free yoga on Tuesday’s at 4:45 PM in the dance studio (next to the fitness center) for students and faculty. Yoga is offered as part of DYC’s wellness initiative promoting the mind, body and spirit. There are other programs that are offered each week including Zumba, Yoga/lates and boxing as well as other special occasions like the salsa dancing that was offered this past week. For me, yoga did just the thing to get me refocused and motivated to undertake life as a student once again.

If you cannot make it on Tuesdays for yoga, the instructor, Megan, is offering a class on Saturdays at 10:00 A.M. at Buffalo Yoga for only $5 for any D’Youville faculty or students. Now that’s a pretty good deal in the yoga world!

students posing for pictureYoga programstudents at yoga program

Get Active!

I encourage all of you to start getting more active this semester whether it is going to one of these classes, to the gym, or just trying to walk more! The benefits of exercise and relaxation will outweigh the extra hour of study time (or time spent on Facebook!). There are 1,440 minutes in a day, so get up, get active, and spend 60 of them on you!

What do you do to stay active or unwind after a day of school? Have you ever gone to any of the fitness programs provided at D’Youville College? If so, which one was your favorite? What are some of your health and fitness goals this year? Let me know what you think!

One thought on “Wellness at D’Youville: Mind, Body, and Spirit