DYC Career Services Center: Getting You One Step Closer to Your Dream Career

I’ll admit it, I have always been intimidated by the words “resumé,” “interviewing,” or even “graduating,” but with a little guidance, there can be a light at the end of this tunnel for all of us! Whether you are an incoming freshman, transfer student, or soon-to-be graduating senior, D’Youville’s Career Services Center is the place to go when either writing a resumé, preparing for an interview, developing a professional portfolio or creating a career action plan.

students in the career services center

They not only help prepare you for your future career, but put your mind at ease when you send out that resumé or walk into an interview for your dream job.

The Career Services office

The Career Services office is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM Mondays-Fridays and are open later until 6:30 PM on Tuesdays!

Now I am sure you have heard this many times before, but it is always a good idea to start preparing for your future career as soon as you enter college. Start looking for ways to get involved either in your major’s student association, volunteering on or off campus, or by finding internships related to your future career. As you get work and volunteer experience, be sure to write down details immediately of what you did including dates, job descriptions, and contact information for possible future references. Campus Ministry has a volunteer database that you can register with that can be extremely helpful when preparing your resumé.

Career Services Center

I visited Christine Demcie, the director at the Career Services Center (ALT 315), last week to learn more about what it had to offer and I was surprised, although I shouldn’t have been, at the number of different services they provide. Not only can you set up appointments to develop networking skills, practice interviewing, and work on resumés, they can help you find internships, scholarship opportunities, and job openings! In three semesters I will be finishing up my dietetics degree and I am already planning on setting up mock interviews. Students (and alumni) can become more comfortable and confident with the whole process by utilizing either a face-to-face, “videotaped,” phone, or Skype interviews. It’s free of charge too!

Moodle and Online Resources

screenshot of the Career Services Center's Moodle Site

Career Services Center’s Moodle Site for D’Youville Students

D’Youville’s Career Services Center also has resources available to students on Moodle. Simply log in with the username and password they give you, and you can access a plethora of information including major-specific resumé templates, cover letter samples, video resources with tips, and networking guides. Their Moodle site is perfect for those when you don’t have to come to campus. Also, check out the career action plan they have to help you figure out what you should be doing each year while in school.  Need some more ideas or tips for planning for your future career? Be sure to check out the Career Fair on April 10 from 3:30-6:30 PM in the College Center‘s Blue Lounge.

I hope this has helped calm your fears a little about resumés, interviews, and job searching! Just remember – you are not alone! Your professors, faculty, and the friendly faces at the Career Services Center are all there to help you transition from student to professional.

Have you ever utilized the services at the Career Center? What tips do you have for others for preparing for interviews or writing resumé? Let me know what you think!