Comedy at the Kavinoky

One of the things I like to feature on my DYC Student Voices Blog “column” is opportunities and activities at D’Youville that the average student may be missing out on if they are focused solely on classes. The productions that take place at Kavinoky Theatre on campus are the perfect example.

Noises Off flyerLocated on the first floor of the KAB building, the The Kavinoky Company has been officially producing shows since 1980. Although it may seem to be hidden on campus, this professional theatre has earned the reputation for its high quality performances and won awards more than any other theater in Buffalo. While I always enjoy the shows at Shea’s, there is something about going to a small, community theatre where the intimate staging makes you feel a part of the storyline and can actually see the facial expressions. Although this theatre is actually independent of D’Youville College, as students, we get a special price on the two performances before opening night – free admission! All you need to do is bring a valid student I.D. and you can spend the night relaxing with friends.

Noises Off cast performing

Photo Credit: Simon Faber

The Noises Off production began this past week and seeing as it was Valentine’s Day, my date and I decided going to the Kavinoky’s Free Preview night would be a fun way to spend the evening.

“Touted as “the most dexterously realized comedy ever about putting on a comedy” by the New York Times, the funniest play ever written returns to The Kavinoky Theatre after 20 years!  Slamming doors, backstage intrigue, and absolute mayhem ensues in this laugh-out-loud, non-stop whirlwind of hysterical proportions.”

Three Robbers Cast

Photo Credit: Simon Faber

And boy, was it a high-energy production! The cast was phenomenal, and the script had them literally running all around the stage for the last two acts. Furthermore, I found out that the stage rotates providing a quick set change during intermissions, making the viewing experience even more exciting. Noises Off officially opened on February 15 and will be playing until March 10. If you don’t have time to make it to this show, two more will be playing this season: “Osage County” starting April 26 and “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” starting June 14. Last Thursday marked the fourth Kavinoky production I have been able to attend, and I can’t wait for the next!

Have you ever been to a production at the Kavinoky Theatre? Which was your favorite performance? Let me know what you think!

One thought on “Comedy at the Kavinoky

1. Pingback: College Student Activities Ideas