Women’s History Month: Five of My Favorite Books by Women

In honor of Women’s History Month, I thought I would talk about my favorite contributions to the literature world at the hands of women. This is a list of my top 5 favorite books written by female authors.

female

Women’s History Month: Honoring all those amazing women!

1. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

female author

Not only does Harry Potter top my favorite female-written book list, but it’s probably at the top of my favorite books of all-time list as well. The series is just so brilliantly written and thought-out and, dare-I-say-it, magical. Just a sign at how significant this series is: A movie franchise, a theme park, a parody musical that launched Team Starkid, Wizard Rock, etc. The list really is endless. J.K. Rowling, thank you for your contribution to the world.

female author

J.K. Rowling

2. The Giver by Lois Lowry

female author

One of the reasons The Giver makes my list is because it launched my interest in English. If I had never read The Giver, I probably would have taken a much longer path on my road to becoming an English major. Forgive me, but I’m a sucker for dystopian fiction, and The Giver is a prime example of it. Lois Lowry aptly creates a world, void of all pleasures including color and weather, in order to showcase society’s need for everything in the world, especially the unimportant everyday things.

female author

Lois Lowry

3. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins

female author

The Hunger Games is an even more excellent example because its protagonist is a spirit-driven female who refuses to back down. Suzanne Collins provides one of the most thrilling tales and most memorable characters ever. Katniss Everdeen must battle her peers in order to save her sister’s life. The book also spawned a movie franchise, for which I anxiously await its continuation. And hey, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing.

female author

Suzanne Collins

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

female author

Jane Eyre is one of those classic books that are amazing. Charlotte Bronte aptly describes the struggles of an orphan child, in the care of her family and the male-dominated society of the time, to rise above it all and seek independence, eventually finding solace and romance. It’s abundantly female-driven. If you haven’t read this book, give it a chance. Yes, I know it was written before the 1900s, but that doesn’t automatically make it bad. I promise.

female author

Charlotte Bronte

5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

female author

Another Bronte book makes the list. Only this time, it’s a different sister. Chances are you’ve all encountered Wuthering Heights at one point or another, and there’s a reason for that. It’s an amazing book, wholly reliant on wildness and savagery. The Bronte sisters always know how to captivate their audience, and that’s why you should give this one a chance, too. I did, and I loved it.

female author

Emily Bronte

There you are! I hope you enjoyed my jaunt into Women’s History Month, and I hope that if you haven’t read any of these, you do so! How about all of you? Who are your favorite female authors or favorite books by them? Comment below!

2 thoughts on “Women’s History Month: Five of My Favorite Books by Women

• 1) Joyce Carol Oates
      2) Anne Tyler
      3) Margaret Atwood
      4) Willa Cather
      5) Jane Austen