Things to Do in Ontario, Canada: Niagara Edition

Whether you have just been admitted as a student to D’Youville or are getting ready to graduate, one thing you should check off your college bucket list is to explore all that our friendly neighbors to the “North” have to offer. Just on the other side of the Niagara river,student trying on hats an international adventure awaits you! Depending where you want to go, there are three different bridges to Canada, with the Peace Bridge literally only being four blocks away. I encourage everyone, out-of-state students and Buffalo natives alike, to go and get a passport or an enhanced driver’s license. Below I have created a list of just a few of my favorite things to do in the Niagara region!

A Few of My Favorite Things To Do in Ontario, Canada: Niagara Edition

1. students hikingBecome one with nature and go hiking! Being from the Midwest, I grew up to love to be outdoors. Whenever you need a day away from the hustle and bustle of city life, grabbing a friend or two to go hiking is not only a breath of fresh air, it’s good for you, too! There are plenty of trails to go hiking, biking, or horse-back riding on the other side of the border, so be sure to check some out.
  2. Taste the local Canadian cuisine. Whether you believe it or not, Canadians have more to offer than just their delicious maple syrup. If you are like me and are always looking for new flavors to try, be sure to check out some of the local eats right over border. If you are visiting Niagara Falls and would like to try some of the more well-known restaurant names, Milestones, Brasa, and the Keg Steakhouse & Bar are a few of my personal favorites. Speaking of Niagara Falls…
  3. Transform into a tourist for an afternoon and go check out The Falls. If you weren’t already aware, one of Canada’s natural wonders, Niagara Falls, is just a short drive from D’Youville. If you have already been on the American side, make Student next to winery signsure to take the Rainbow Bridge across to Canada to check out the Horseshoe Falls from a spectacular viewpoint!
  4. Experience Wine Country. Even if you are not a wine connoisseur, visiting one of the local wineries or going on a wine tour can be a great way to spend a Saturday in Ontario. Either hop on a tour bus or ask a friend to volunteer to drive and sip away! (Only if you are 19 or older, of course). If it’s your first time wine tasting, be sure to read up on “Wine-Tasting Etiquette!”
  5. Shop till you drop in Niagara-on-the-Lake. One of my new found favorite places to visit in Ontario is Niagara-on-the-Lake. I could spend a whole day strolling up and down Queen Street, touring the museums, and finishing the day by enjoying a performance at the Shaw Festival. A few of my top picks for shops on the historic Queen Street include Taylor’s Bakery and Ice Cream Shop, Kurtz Culinary Creations, and Irish Design (see above). This is definitely a must-see in the Niagara region. Oh, and if you find yourself wandering into a bakery on your trip, be sure to try one of my Canadian favorites, Nanaimo bars!
Student at Krutz Culinary CreationsStudent outside Shaw FestivalStudent at bakery
Where are some of your favorite places to go in Niagara, Ontario? What would you add to my list? Let me know what you think!

One thought on “Things to Do in Ontario, Canada: Niagara Edition

1. Erin,
    You always have such wonderful pictures to accompany your great blogs! I always look forward to seeing what your newest entry will be about!