British Modernism–THE Course to Register for this Fall

Registration time, ugh. It’s tough, I’ll give you that. Picking classes, advisement, dealing with the onslaught of all of D’Youville logging on at midnight. I’ll say it again. It’s tough. But here’s something to maybe make it a little easier: a course recommendation for the Fall of 2013. Now, if you’ve been keeping up with my posts, you’ll know two things: 1.) I love british modernismEnglish, I’m an English major, taking Shakespeare and all that jazz, and 2.) Dr. Gooch is a great professor. So it really is going to come as no surprise when I suggest ENG 316: British Modernism taught by Dr. Gooch.

I’ll tell you this modernism is fun. Maybe not by the normal mind’s standards, but trust me. The time period you’d be focusing on is the early 20th century, and that’s when a lot of great literature happened.

Now, in the hopes of persuading you further, I have insider information on the course. As in, I know what you’ll be reading. It’s a good list:

1. Heart of DarknessJoseph Conrad

Modernism

Blackwood’s Magazine–the original publisher of Heart of Darkness

2. The Good SoldierFord Madox Ford

Modernism

Ford Madox Ford’s The Good Soldier

3. MauriceE.M. Forster

Modernism

E.M. Forster’s Maurice

4. Portrait of the Artist as a Young ManJames Joyce

Modernism

James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

5. Mrs. DallowayVirginia Woolf

Modernism

Virginia Woolf’s Mrs. Dalloway

6. Voyage in the DarkJean Rhys

Modernism

Jean Rhys’s Voyage in the Dark

Don’t worry all. It might be six books, but they’re not too tough or too lengthy. I assure you.

D’Youville provides some of the most in depth and interesting courses, and British Modernism is going to be one of them. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to take this course. Register NOW! (or during your allotted time slot, of course)…

How about you all? What do you think about how this course sounds? What other courses sound good for the Fall semester? Let me know below!