Things to Do in Buffalo This Fall

jumpSo you are sitting in your dorm room and you don’t know what to do; you’ve watched all your favorite reruns on Netflix and cannot sit in the library and study any longer. Don’t fear! I’ve compiled a list of things to do in Buffalo this fall!

#5 Order a Pumpkin Spice Latte at Spot Coffee.

pumpkin spice latte After hearing enough references about pumpkin-flavored somethings, I figured I should have one myself to see what all the fuss is about. I chose Buffalo-based Spot Coffee.

At first I did not see anything seasonal on their menu, but upon asking the very lively barista that took care of me I found out that some of the fall drinks included hot apple cider (yumm), chai tea, and of course the pumpkin spice latte. However, the barista suggested that I try his own seasonal concoction of pumpkin pie in a glass. It had some white chocolate, spices, espresso, pumpkin flavoring in it. I have to admit it was pretty good and worth the risk of trying something new!

4.) Go to a Bills Game

Buffalo Bills D'Youville CollegeCome cheer on Buffalo’s hometown team this fall before the weather gets too cold to sit in the stadium. The Bills Stadium is just a short drive from school in Orchard Park, about twenty minutes south of the city. Right now, D’Youville is selling discounted tickets for the November 3rd game. To buy them, bring your student ID to the DYC College Center, room 115. Hurry up and check it out!

#3 Ellicottville Fall Fest

ellicottville, new york d'youville collegeEllicottville is a small ski town about an hour south of Buffalo. Their annual fall fest is a Western New York favorite and definitely worth the drive. This year it’s scheduled for October 12 and 13. Walk along Main Street in the village and check out the wares of local vendors. There’s live music and food stands throughout. Stop in a local pub and have a draft of seasonal beer from the Ellicottville Brewing Company. Head over to Holiday Valley Resort for rides on the ski chairlift and look at all the fall foliage ($2-5 for the lift ride) or bring your old skis over to the ski swap and get ready for the upcoming ski season.

#2 Get Outside

eternal flame falls
The weather in Buffalo in the fall is pretty mild. Put on your sweater, get outside and take a hike! Some of my favorite parks are Chestnut Ridge Park in Orchard Park and Sprague Brook Park in Glenwood.

Eternal Flame Falls
If you enter Chestnut Ridge Park from the south, you can take an easy hike down to Eternal Flame Falls, a beautiful natural gas source that is lit behind a small waterfall.

Sprague Brook has more trails, often frequented by hikers and trail bikers alike, as well as year round camping if you are feeling adventurous.

#1 Apple Picking!

Becker FarmsRound up a car of friends for the full fall experience at Becker Farms in Gasport, northeast of the Buffalo. (The drive is beautiful by the way.)

Highlights
There is a wagon ride out to the apple orchard, where you can pick all kinds of varieties of huge and juicy apples. Fill up a bag for $4.50 or a large shopping bag for only $12. (definitely worth it!) Have some cider and a homemade donut. As one DYC student described, “I don’t even like donuts and this is the most amazing donut I have ever had.”

Listen to some live music while enjoying the fall treats or chicken BBQ/bratwurst and a growler of the farm’s local brews with friends. Take the wagon ride out through the fields and enjoy the farm at harvest time. Come early, hungry, and prepared for a good time!

Do you have any other ideas for the top things to do in Buffalo? Let us know in the comments below.