Dancing in the Moonlight: Lady Spartans Basketball Bask in the Playoff Glow

Last month I had the opportunity to catch my first D’Youville Lady Spartans basketball game.  The only way I can describe the Lady Spartans is talented and tough. FSCN0411.v02Every rush down the court was a battle. It did not come as a surprise to learn after the game that they are second in the league this season. This will be their first time going to the playoffs since they entered the AMCC in 2009. I had the opportunity to catch up with some of the Spartans after their Friday practice to find out more about the players and their season.

Dancing Across the Court
I have never been much of a basketball player, the whole hand eye coordination gene thing kind of skipped over me and was passed on to my sisters who played basketball throughout grammar and high school. I think that’s part of the reason the game has always fascinated me; the way these girls move so effortlessly through the court dribbling a ball in one hand, almost reminds me of a well choreographed dance routine.
DSCN0412.v01The Line Up
There are five juniors, three sophomores, and four freshman on the Lady Spartans Basketball team. Most of the girls are from Western New York with only two girls coming from out of town. The team is led by captains Bridget Andrews, an Amherst junior education major, and Shannon Dougherty, a South Buffalo junior nursing major.

captainshannon spartans
The team is rounded out by Massepequa nursing major Casey Bartles, West Seneca nursing major Jill Piniewski, West Seneca occupational therapy major Maria Rosati, Buffalo ESS major Sara Marino, Buffalo sociology major Danette Laguire, Alden nursing major Alyssa Donnelly, Eden biology major Emily Carias, Washingtonville education major Jean-Ann Korona, and Hamburg biology major Morgan Mcdermont.

DSCN0453.v02The Road to the Playoffs
The girls will be traveling to Mount Aloysius College in Pennsylvania for their first game of the playoffs starting today at 7pm. The Mounties are the third seed team and the Spartans are the sixth seed team for this first game. While you might not be able to travel to Pennsylvania to watch the game you can grab a bowl of popcorn and some friends from your dorm and watch it online. The girls have worked hard to get to the playoffs so far with games usually twice a week and practice four times a week. They are looking forward to a chance to battle hometown rivals Medaille on Friday if they win Tuesday night’s game.

1964 Women's DYC game throwback courtesy of DYC Library Twitter Page https://twitter.com/dyclibrary/status/375608795780505600

1964 Women’s DYC game throwback courtesy of DYC Library Twitter Page

Underdogs Coming Out On Top
When asking junior Maria Rosati her fondest memory of the season so far she replied, “This was the first time we beat Behrend and Greensburg which helped ensure our place in the playoffs. It was a great feeling knowing that we are changing how people view the DYC Woman’s Team. We are the team that everyone has always overlooked and it’s great knowing that we are changing that.”

Show Your Support!
Find out more about our Lady Spartans by visiting their athletics page and checking out the game online tonight! Good luck Spartans!